Healthy chicken and sweet potato curry
For a warming one-pot meal you can’t do better than this healthy chicken and sweet potato curry. It’s easy to make, low in fat and packed with veggies.
1 tsp vegetable oil 1 large onion, diced 2 tsp finely grated garlic 1 tsp finely grated ginger 1 green chilli, finely chopped 2 tsp cumin seeds 1 cinnamon stick 8–10 curry leaves 1½ tbsp medium curry powder 600g/1lb 5oz boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into large bite-size pieces 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/5/8in cubes 400g tin chopped tomatoes 400ml/14fl oz chicken stock 100g/3½oz baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped salt and freshly ground black pepper large handful fresh coriander (leaves and stalks), finely chopped 100g/3½oz fat-free natural yoghurt, whisked (optional)
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Cooking time: 60 mins.
Skill level: moderate
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, cinnamon stick and curry leaves and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add the curry powder, stir and cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken and sweet potatoes and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 3–4 minutes, until wilted and mixed into the curry.
- Remove from the heat, season well with salt and pepper and scatter in the chopped coriander. Drizzle over the yoghurt, if using, and serve immediately, in warmed bowls.